11/8/08

Pushkar



First things which blows to my eyes in Pushkar are the narrow streets and that cows share the same living space as people, very bulky pet.

It's Diwali, the festival of lights. People put deyas all around their house to symbolize the victory of good over evil in each individual of the family. I participated by playing poi on the roof top of my hotel where I met a lot of other interesting travelers.

This was in front of most houses... I don't want to write what this is made of. Quiz: it is made by a cow and modeled by kids.

The big and beautiful Sikh temple on the left and the smaller Hindu temple in Pushkar. I total there are 518 temples for 17000 inhabitants.

View over the blue houses and temples around the holy lake of Pushkar. Did a great motorcycle tour on an Enfield around Pushkar over two days, but forgot my camera...

I stayed in a guesthouse close to where the smoke comes out...

Sunset over Pushkar.

People learning to play drums in front of the lake. Was kind of annoying and did not really fit to the atmosphere of this amazing place.

That's Pappu, my friend of the Bopa caste which are Gypsy people who play Rawanatha and sing traditional Rajasthani songs. But as modern industry made the tape and CD decks popular, this group of people cannot live from their destined talents anymore.

I helped his family to have a descent tent made out of an old Coke advertisement canvas.

His two cute daughters with the most crazy hairstyle. Hair as dry as the desert surrounding their home.

5 comments:

High Power Rocketry said...

That looks so crazy!

R2K

Unknown said...

Ok, pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaase don't become an artisan or sculptor over there. Leave it for the kids. :)

Anonymous said...

pipi caca

Dennis said...

Hey Pascal! Also aus Exkrementen Kunstwerke machen - das ist schon stark! Aber sehr schön, dass Du jetzt auch mit Pois umgehen kannst, da können wir hier dann mal spielen (sollte es Dich nochmal nach Bremen verschlagen!). Hau rein!

Unknown said...

Dear Pascal, where are you?? :S
I hope everything is going fine...
I'm going away tomorrow as well - Guaymas basin, yay! :D
Cheers!!